Easy Spinach Falafel Patties!

April 26, 2017


I had such a real craving for falafel that I decided I needed to make some as soon as possible. The recipe is so easy to follow and at the end you have some delicious falafel to look forward to munching on. While not the prettiest, I am willing to argue they are the tastiest, so let's go over the ingredients!
You will need:
1 can of chickpeas
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
Chopped rosemary (to taste)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
A handful of spinach
1/2 tsp black pepper
Pinch of salt
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp all-purpose seasoning

First thing's first is the chickpeas! Ideally you'll want to use dry chickpeas that you've soaked for 12-24 hours, but since I wanted to eat these on the day, I used a can. This does mean that there is the risk of the falafel breaking up more when frying, but to be honest I didn't see much of this when I started cooking. 

Put your chickpeas (canned or soaked) into a food processor along with the salt, all-purpose seasoning, spinach, pepper, garlic, rosemary, onion, and mixed herbs and whiz it all up until it becomes smooth. If it's too much for the processor to handle, you can do this step in batches. I decided to add spinach because I'm still on that health kick and I wanted the falafel to have the green color from this instead. Traditionally, corriander and/or parsley is used to achieve this. Put the mixture into a bowl and add the flour, baking powder and lemon juice and mix together well. The lemon juice and baking powder react to make the falafel have a lighter texture. After this, just leave the falafel mixture in a bowl in the fridge to rest for an hour.

An hour later, just shape the falafel into little patties by rolling them in the palm of your hand and flattening them slightly. If you want, you can also shape them into balls! Just make sure they're all the same size so they can cook evenly.



So now it's time to get to frying! Obviously these aren't totally healthy, but cooking them in the oven will also work just fine. It's just that frying these makes them taste 100 times better! I fried these in some oil until they were brown on both sides and drained them on some kitchen paper. It is essential to cook these in batches, and not all at once because too many can cause the oil to cool.

Once they're cooked you can serve them with literally anything - I love them in wraps with hummus and salad and they can also keep in the fridge for a few days. 



And that's it! I did say they're not the prettiest, but with all that garlic and rosemary in there the taste is so great it really won't matter how they look!

See you in the next one!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for checking out this post!